Thursday, August 4, 2011

Proud Of My Boy!


When my kids were little they used to say cute stuff that would keep me laughing for days. Well, my baby boy did it again the other day. Yep, I know he's not so little any more (almost 18 and 6 feet 3 and a half inches - and don't dare forget about that half an inch!)

He'd just gotten home from work and raced to the loo (because you can't go to the toilet at work apparently) and hadn't bothered to shut the door. He heard me walk past and yelled over his shoulder "Mum, I'm so proud of myself"

Lots of thoughts flashed through my head. Proud of what? That you're toilet trained? Yep I'm proud of that too but I was prouder when you WERE two. That you can pee standing up? Well, you've got the equipment so I wouldn't be so proud of that. That you can pee without the toilet seat up, while standing up and not miss? I'm not so much proud but relieved about that one. No woman likes to sit down on a splattered toilet seat and if you can hit the water from your great height I guess that's a pretty big achievement.

But actually it was none of the above. He was proud of something he'd done while driving home. He'd heard an ambulance (over the throbbing, beat of his music, no doubt) and pulled up out of the way so it could race through and he felt like he'd vicariously helped in saving a life.

And at that moment I was so proud of my young man. Not because of the car thing. But because he could multi-task - something that men aren't really known for. Yes, my boy could aim, fire AND think all at the same time.

My apologies to all the men reading my blog. I know you're all different and I shouldn't generalize. But it's so much fun it's hard to resist.

PS - just read this out to my hubby and he gave me the finger. Ah well, can't please everybody.

15 comments:

  1. hahahahahhha....no offense taken...younger males seem to have a harder time with this multi-tasking thing.....older males simply give the finger while multi-tasking!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO!! This was just too funny!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha

    Thats an awesomely funny story :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, that's funny. Apparently he can aim, think and TALK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahahahahahaha!

    PS: We are potty training our son right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm still looking forward to the day when my son can aim straight without splashing all over the floor - mind you, he's only 5...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm smiling because apparently I'm quite good at multi-tasking.:) During my race this past Saturday I saw a girl stand an pee next to the road. I've seen it a few times and just wonder...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Haha! Gotta love some good multi-tasking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I was once again totally in the scene of your house! I felt a little invasive since I was walking down the hall and seeing your son pee...that's what all your posts do to me...take me right to the scene while I'm reading. So funny. Someday I'll have to tell you how I see your house in my head...I've got a whole layout in my mind...your living room, hallway, kitchen and now bathroom. Way to go on the multitasking Char's son!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forgiven! You made me laugh with this post and, of course, with the picture.
    Our sons are similar, it seems that the door of the toilet doesn't exist.
    And the runners... I think we are special because we succeed in peeing anywhere before a race....but in Italy!!! Abroad I never saw this scene!

    ReplyDelete
  11. HAHAHA thanks for the giggle. And you are so right about men and multi-tasking!!! Sometimes all you can do is laugh...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahaha! As the mom of two teen boys, I totally understand both the confusion and the pride!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Laughing out loud with my husband, mom and dad. Had to pause the SA vs Australia tri-nation game so I could read your post out loud.
    Glad to hear that doors don't exist in your house either.
    You've obviously taught your boy well if he can multi-task so well and gives thought to ambulances. Well Done.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.