Monday, April 2, 2012

This Week's Happy

I'm all about full disclosure on my blog and to be quite honest I've had moments where I've struggled emotionally and physically in the last few weeks. Running has been improving gradually but it's all too slow for my liking. And with every run I have to think and overthink - am I running too fast (seriously, I can't run much slower), is my heart rate too high, should I still be taking lots of walk breaks, will I go down in a great big heap once again if I do too much? I really miss the days when running was just about putting on your shoes and trashing yourself and feeling great afterwards.

But I know if I trashed myself I'd be paying the price for days or weeks afterwards so discipline has to be my middle name. But I have to learn to deal with the frustration that my limitations have created. So I've had to make a conscious effort again to look for the positives. And these are just a few of my positives in the last week.


My gorgeous puppies pretending that they are the best behaved dogs in the world who would never have accidents in the house.


A text from one of my best clients - if you read it carefully you might see that she's made an error which has taken fabric to mean frantic. When you've been working 45 hour weeks for well over a month, frantic is probably the more appropriate word. Gotta love subliminal auto-correct mistakes.


A multiple delivery from my parcel man. And all for me. Unfortunately one was the above-mentioned parcel of frantic and another some screen-printing for work. The box of flea tablets for the dogs was pretty exciting for them. But the last box had my new running shoes and singlet - yay!


Finding accessories for my wedding dress - well, not my wedding dress (been there, done that got the kids and stretch marks to prove it. And finding this bling made it easy to decide what I'd be wearing.

                                           

Baking on Sunday morning. Straight out of bed. Hadn't showered or brushed my hair. Still in my pyjamas. 


And a new recipe tried and tested and given the Donaldson family seal of approval. Pumpkin cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. I got the recipe off the internet so I don't feel too like a thief putting it up here.

125g butter
1 C firmly packed brown sugar
1/3 cup white sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 large eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk mixed with 1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups mashed pumpkin.

Mix the butter and sugars with an electric mixer until fluffy. Sift the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time to the butter/sugar mix. Then alternately add the flour and milk mix. Finally beat in the pumpkin till smooth.

Spoon into lined cupcake pan. It'll make about 18 cupcakes. And bake at 350F/175C for 20-25 mins. 

They are seriously yummy - and Luke's girlfriend Becky will attest that non-pumpkin eaters will even enjoy them.

Our life is what we make it and a lot of how we feel depends on perspective. Sometimes it takes a concerted effort to change your perspective when your just not feeling it - but there is always something good to see when you do.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! and I love that black dress on you - or tank, I don't know but love it. LOVED the pups looking as cute as ever.

    I thought the text was weird and thus, I reread it a few times before continuing on, only then to feel like an idiot b/c you mentioned the error ;)

    Here I was wondering what a package of frantic was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering about that parcel of frantic but if anyone can handle it you can!
    Love the bling--holy hotness.
    I would LOVE if you'd do a competition or show dress for Thing 1 next year. We'll pick a time when youre not horribly busy....if there is one. I feel like Thing 1 needs to up her game to earn one of your creations. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of wisdom in your final paragraph - so true!

    Love the necklace you found to go with the dress - very elegant!

    Good luck with all the frantic work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love those cakes Char and love your last paragraph on perspective. Just what I needed to read today thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post is another highlight for sure! I love those innocent faces of the pups. They are always so good at putting up the face that works for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pumpkin cupcakes with cream cheese frosting. I am on the speediest jet right now!

    Yum!

    Love the looks on the pups faces. Of course they did NOTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can so relate to the improvement happening way too slowly. I love how you're finding the positive things in life...I know you gotta do this or you end up with no hair by pulling it all out.

    You look great in that black dress. I'm not sure how you stay so thin making all those cupcakes...I know I would be 800 lbs! Loving the accessories :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do look good in black and I love the necklace. You also look good in the PJ's + Apron, LOL! Imagining what those Pumpkin Cupcakes smell like - I love baking with clove and cinnamon. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are finding the positives and being patient/disciplined. You WILL get back to your old runner self in time!

    That cupcake looks and sounds DIVINE!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look fantastic in the dress, Char! But I'm sorry you're having a hard time with the running/frustration. It is so hard to be patient when we are used to a lot of movement and then it gets curbed. Wish I could bake so that I could try the recipe - it looks delish! Hmmmm...maybe I'll go get cupcake this afternoon for a "recovery" treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cupcake is so artful I would never eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very elegant dress, I like it.
    Your little friends are lovely and the cupcake looks delicious as usual.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I love hearing from you.